Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sandwiches

I believe in one god. And that god is sandwiches.

Sandwiches are perfect. They are form without content. They are interactive. They fit in my lunch box. You are never alone when you have a sandwich. One of my cockamamie schemes for later-in-life-accomplishments is to set aside 1 calendar year and make a different kind of sandwich every single day. And then blog about it, obviously.

Think about all the permutations available to a sandwich:

(* optional ingredient)

1. Bread
2. Primary meat
3. Secondary meat *
4. Primary spread
5. Secondary spread *
6. Leafy thing
7. Token vegetable so you don't feel so guilty
8. Secondary vegetable because you're a good person *
9. Tertiary vegetable because you are a vegetarian/vegan/skilled sandwich creator *


And really we haven't even talked about sweet sandwiches which have a slightly different break down:

1. Bread
2. Primary spread
3. Secondary spread *
4. Primary fruit *
5. Secondary fruit *


In some ways, the sweet sandwich is more versatile than the savory, simply because you can just take some bread, smear it with something delicious and you have effectively created a meal.

I don't need a calculator to tell me that sandwiches are amazing. But if I did have a calculator (and knew what stupid function I would need to do this) I could tell you how many different kinds of sandwiches are possible in the world. But be assured. It is many.


As long as we're on the subject of sandwiches and this blog is all about me -- oh, fancy that! -- I may as well tell you my most favorite sandwich in the whole world:

Now, for me, tuna is a divine occurrence. I have actually over dosed on tuna (another story for another day). It is a family favorite, a cultural practice, a way of thinking about the world. It is also rife with contradiction because I really hate the idea of mayonnaise so I have to pretend that there isn't any in my tuna fish when I order it out. You see, like any great passion, my love of tuna is a turbulent emotional event.

So my favorite sandwich is a tuna sandwich. But not just any tuna sandwich. It is The Tuna Sandwich. Which is made as follows:

1. Tuna
2. on rye
3. with lettuce
4. tomato
5. red onion
6. and provolone cheese
7. could I get mustard on that? What kinds do you have? 
8. Oh! and a pickle, please.


Proportions may vary. Which fine because variety is the spice of life.
Pickles forever,
Love,
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment