Saturday, September 11, 2010

Twenty Two

I am twenty-two years old. I just moved to Chicago. I love to get drunk and cook elaborate dinners.


Actually, maybe it's misleading to say that I "love" to get drunk and cook dinner. It's more accurate to say that it is just something that I do. Also, the term "elaborate" is used here loosely. If you are a gourmet chef, or a "seafood aficionado" like my uncle (more later, I promise), or a pastry chef who lives in Dubai (I know one) my nightly parade of food preparation might not even raise an eyebrow. But, let's examine the evidence, shall we? It's 10:05 on a Saturday and I just finished making a dozen quiche muffins (quichettes? quichelings?)*, a chicken dish that my favorite recipe book creatively calls, "Chicken with  pancetta, peas & mint." I also pickled a cucumber and some left over bell peppers. I am experimenting with different ways to pickle veggies.


My favorite recipe book, incidentally, is called "The Illustrated Quick Cook: time-saving tips, after-work recipes, cheap eats." It is written by Heather Whinney and every time I cook something from it I am satisfied and learn something.

Anyway, I decided to start a blog because it just so happens that I love blogs. Also, sometimes my forays into alcoholic-insight just turn into a silly sloppy mess. Me. Never my food. I also like to write and people tell me I'm okay at it. That's why I'm writing a blog. This was the disclaimer paragraph in case you're looking for something else to read.


See you next time and be sure to stay tuned for all the exciting adventures of Drinks with Dinner.




*filling in quiche: Spinach, red onion, whole grain mustard, salt, pep & an intrepid dash of pumpkin pie spice.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your blog!!! Your supermarket teens are countering the general misconception that teens are asses so yay! I'm sure you are a fabulous chef. Your jokes have more zing to them and they are more refined-perhaps because you are writing them out?- than I remember but they haven't lost their sparkle. (I sound like a critic LOL). Who is this chef in Dubai that you know and where do they work. I could pop in sometime :) Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete