Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Tried Horseradish Vodka and Loved It

I love vinegar. I love mustard, raw red onions, sauerkraut, and horseradish. I eat pickles for breakfast. The very idea of anything sweet in the morning makes me want to die. I drink water with two shots of lime juice in it.

Really, I like to think that I have something in common with the titular character from the movie Alien (i.e. alien) and if you cut open one of my veins it would burn straight through the floor.

I decided recently to start pickling my own veggies. I may branch out later to fruits/herring/what-have-you but for now we're sticking to:

1. Cucumbers (duh)
2. Bell peppers
3. Mushrooms

Now anyone who is a fan of pickled things will immediately cry out, "YOU HAVE LEFT OUT [insert hot pepper variety here], YOU FOOL!" Well, in a strange twist of genetic/cultural fate, I'm not the biggest fan of the spicy foods. Salty? Yes. Sour? Oh yes. Bitter? Marry me. And yet, I can't go past "medium" at an Indian restaurant without risking genuinely NOT enjoying my food. Go figure. Speaking of spicy foods, just the other day I made a stir fry that I shared with my roomie (she insists that it was good so yay!) that contained an entire jalapeno pepper. Which (mental note) is too much for me. HOWEVER. An amazing discovery came out of this. Pairing my homemade spicy Asian food with Leinenkiugel's Berry Weiss beer* turned out not to just good but in fact, GREAT.

*I just found this blog by googling the name of the beer but I thought the article was so funny I had to link to it instead of a picture.

But this is neither here nor there. Back to pickles.


I look forward to pickling the following things in the future:

1. Pears
2. Peaches
3. Chicken

I like using a variety of different vinegars and herbs to liven things up a bit. Also, I cheat & borrow the brine mix from my favorite brand of pickles. Here are some other ingredients I enjoy throwing into the jar:

1. Siracha
2. Blender-ed red onions / chopped red onions
3. Garlic
4. Honey


Sincerely,
And Brine-y Hugs
Mackenzie
Media buffer

No comments:

Post a Comment