Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Honey

As an adult-like person (proto-adult?) I think I have reached the stage in my life where I develop little hobbies and interests that require research. It would seem that I have chosen honey. Here's a short personal history of honey in my own life.

In childhood whenever I fell ill, my mother would always make me mugs upon mugs of honey tea. Honey tea is easy to make. You heat up water, then pour in lots of honey, stir & sip. Delicious. Also for Rosh Hashana (oh yeah, I'm Jewish by the way) we always eat apples and honey in anticipation of a sweet year.


However, my educational introduction to honey came from a very smart & sexy lady who had worked on a bee farm. She told me all kinds of fun facts about bees. For instance! Did you know that in a bee hive, the worker bees will decide to kill the queen by use of the infamous "cuddle death?" Way cool, right? Anyway, you should go read about bees sometime.

So anyway, now I buy lots of weird kinds of honey.

Hungarian wildflower honey--is has sort of crystallized because of the cold

Lithuanian buckwheat honey


Turkish pine honey
 Okay now this pine honey is pretty freaking amazing. In fact, I took video of how dark, thick and incredible it is.

So USUALLY, the honey you buy at the supermarket is only clover honey. But! Honey can be made from many different kinds of flowers. Next time you're in some kind of alternative/ethnic market (or just a really good big box store--I hate to say this but probably Whole Foods would have a good selection) you should seek out some new variety of honey to try because it's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment